Tuesday, March 02, 2010

A Close Shave

A couple months ago, I needed some AA batteries. I go through them like potato chips so I opted for the big pack. It was on sale and Lookee There! It came with a Gillette Fusion razor. And not just a disposable plastic-handled razor but a nice, solid metal handle with rubbery cushioning. For those of you who still use a safety razor, a Fusion has four blades. So, of course, I was more than pleased to try it.

But one drawback is that the blades are expensive. I have to triple-bladed razors -- one in my shaving kit for travel and one at home -- and for cripesakes you have to take out a second mortgage to buy new blades.

But -- oh man -- what a shave. Smooth as a baby's ass with only one pass.

Now that I've used the damn thing for almost a month, I need a new blade. There's the dilemma: I'd like to continue using the thing but I don't want to buy blades for it. Actually I have fresh blades for my triple-bladed razor.

But using the Fusion got me thinking. Which was exactly the point.

Smart people, them folks at Proctor and Gamble.

No comments: